29 Sep 5 Things to Check Before You Call a Furnace Technician
If you’re having trouble using your furnace, heat pump or heating system try our simple tips before you schedule a service appointment.
1. Check to ensure that your thermostat is set in the HEAT position.
2. Confirm the temperature setting on the thermostat is set HIGHER than the current indoor temperature.
3. Ensure that there’s power going to the furnace:
- Try turning the fan to “ON” on the thermostat to test that the furnace has power.
- If nothing happens, reset the breakers on your electrical panel, especially if the thermostat is showing a blank reading.
4. Is there any air coming out of your vents?
- Check all of your return air grilles and registers. Make sure furniture is not blocking them and they are open and blowing air.
5. Check to see if your filter needs to be changed.
- They should be changed approximately monthly to ensure peak performance in your HVAC system. When thinking about changing that filter don’t forget to include any time that there is a higher volume of foot traffic.
- Holidays and times when doors might be open more often could require you change the filter more, as well as pet dander.
- We also offer our exclusive Essential Filter Program. When you sign up, your filters are automatically mailed directly to your doorstep every 6 months. To order, call today 800.659.3491.
For more information on what to do before calling your furnace technician, see our informational video.
If all of these things are in working order then it’s time to call Airtron to schedule a complete inspection of your furnace unit. Be sure you do not attempt to try to diagnose any serious issues. Not only could you hurt yourself or others, you could void the warranty on your furnace and may be responsible for major repairs.