24 Jun Great Ways to Enjoy a Healthier Home Environment
The average home contains a number of unseen dangers, ranging from dust, chemicals and ordinary clutter to silent and deadly gases like carbon monoxide and radon. Learning how to mitigate these dangers is important for creating a healthier environment in your Midatlantic home.
Here are some great tips for making your home a healthier space:
- Clean up the clutter. Not only is clutter a trip hazard, but it can also shelter rodents and insects.
- Always change your air filters. This should be done at least once a month to cut down on dust and other airborne pollution.
- Promote good ventilation throughout your home. Good ventilation can refresh your indoor air, remove toxic poisons and keep moisture levels safe. Even something as simple as opening a window or two can tremendously improve your home’s environment.
- Clear the air with air-purifying plants. Houseplants, like the dracaena and peace lily, not only purify, but they can also beautify your home.
- Test your carbon monoxide alarm regularly. Also, make sure to change your batteries at least once a year.
- Test for and protect your home from radon. This naturally occurring gas can seep through and accumulate in your basement. A vapor barrier can help block most radon gas, as well as keep moisture at bay.
- Consider testing your home for lead. If your home was built before 1978, it may contain lead paint. When renovating, remember to use lead-safe work practices to limit the spread of dust.
- Be careful when using and storing household cleaners and pest control products. These products often contain volatile organic compounds (VOCs) that contribute to indoor air pollution. If you can’t avoid using these products, use them sparingly and keep them out of reach of children.
Contact the pros at Airtron Heating & Air Conditioning to learn more about creating a healthier home environment. Since 1971, we’ve been helping countless Midatlantic homeowners with their HVAC needs.